The land to the rear of the Village Hall was originally a tennis court, which was enjoyed for many years until it fell into disrepair. The picture was taken in 1949 when is use.
The area remained unused until 2010, when the then Village Hall Committee, transformed it into a play area for children and their families to enjoy.
It was then given the name Drovers Dell by David Plumridge, who was at the time a member of the Village Hall Committee.
Drovers Dell has been well used and enjoyed by all generations since then.
Sadly in 2023 the equipment became unusable, it was damaged and had to be removed for safety reasons.
In the same year the Village Hall Committee began to source funding to replace the play equipment, it was two years in the making, but finally in 2025 the refurbishment is complete and the official opening of the refurbished Drovers Dell was on Saturday 20th March, to coincide with ACRE Village Halls week 2025.
The Village Hall Trustees and Committee would like to thank the following organisations who have very generously donated money to the project:
Mid Durham Area Action Partnership
Councillor Mike McGaun
Councillor Doug Oliver
Awards for All
Tesco
Durham Benevolence Limited
Healeyfield Parish Council
Castleside Art Group
We have also had a lot of support from individuals who have joined in our fundraising activities by filling jars with 5 pence pieces, buying raffle tickets, donating us their loose change, etc.
We are extremely grateful to everyone who has helped us to refurbish Drovers Dell and we hope that it will be enjoyed by all for many years to come.
Examples of ”Sewing Bee” projects